Bedlington

Salvation Army

Church and Community Centre

Who and What are we?

In The Beginning


The Salvation Army's work in Bedlington commenced in 1878 when two young lieutenants arrived in the then small mining town, took over a newly built but unoccupied theatre, and began holding meetings. Converts were quickly made and those early pioneers became the foundation on which the Corps of today was built.

The picture on the right shows Bandmaster John Dunn of Bedlington Corps. Photo taken at Christmas 1909


The Army Of Today

 

Since those early days the town has changed dramatically. The mines have long since closed and Bedlington is now on the commuter belt serving the nearby city of Newcastle upon Tyne and other closely located light industrial areas. The present population is some 12,000 and continues to grow as more and more new housing developments are constructed and planned.